- A lanyard is basically a cord of any material (usually nylon, polyester or flat cotton) that is used to fasten something or which is worn around the neck in order to carry an object. The most common applications of lanyards are ID badges and key holders, but because they can be used in place of yarn, rope or string, a little imagination can turn lanyards into just about anything.
- Lanyards are very often used for jewelry making. Necklaces can be made with the lanyards themselves, while lanyard hooks can be fitted together to make a personalized pendant. Some lanyard necklaces are as simple as one lanyard and a few colored beads; the beads are simply threaded onto the lanyard and the lanyard is tied together at the ends to form a loop or secured with a hook. Friendship bracelets and earrings also are especially popular lanyard crafts for girls.
- Bookmarks are easily made with lanyards and a little plastic canvas. All you have to do is cut the plastic canvas to the shape of your choice, or a simple rectangle works just fine. Then weave the lanyard up and down through the plastic canvas and tie it off when you are done so it won't unravel. If you want, you can use different colored lanyards throughout to make a nice pattern on the bookmark.
- If you are religious, you might want to try making an ornament to show your faith. You can do this with lanyards and a few craft sticks. For example, if you are Jewish, you might glue the sticks together in the shape of the Star of David and then use lanyards to wrap the sticks in color and provide a way to hang up the ornament. God's Eyes are ornaments that may be made in the same way and which represent both a child's age and the watchfulness of God.
- Drinking bottled water is becoming increasingly popular. If you constantly have a bottle of water with you, you can use lanyards to make a bottle holder. A basic design involves two strands of woven lanyard attached to a plastic ring. The ring fits around your bottle, and the strands come together to form a loop that can fit around the neck.
- Lanyards can be purchased at most craft stores and online. Some online companies specialize in lanyard sales and offer a wide variety of thicknesses and colors. This selection may be worth the extra cost of shipping that comes from online ordering.
星期五, 十二月 04, 2009
Things You Can Make With Lanyards
When looking for a craft project, one thing to consider is what material can be used and how expensive it will be. The other is how many things can be made from the same material, since versatility increases the craft value of the material. One material that is both economical and versatile is the lanyard.